Thursday, September 5, 2013

Volume: Cylinders and Prisms Examples

More examples as follows:


1. What shape is it?

This is a box, so it's a rectangular prism.  On rectangular prisms, I need to pick 2 opposite sides as my bases.  I am going to choose the top of the shape, and the bottom of the shape.  This means that my base is square because the dimensions are 6x6.

2.  Write the formulas

general                                                         V=Bh
specific to rectangular prisms                        V=(b * h) * h

3. Plug the numbers in:

I get the 6x6 from my base, then the only different number is 3.  If it was a cube, the numbers would all be 6.

                                                                  V=(6 * 6) * 3

4. Solve

Pretty clear here:

36*3 = 108

108 mi^3



1. What shape is it?

This is a ramp, so it's a triangular prism.

2. Write the formulas

general                                                        V=Bh
specific to triangular prisms                          V=(0.5 * b * h) * h

3. Plug the numbers in:

The two bases are triangles, so I need to be looking for that right angle.  It's in the bottom corner, so my dimensions for my triangle are 8*6.  It looks like the dimensions for each rectangle are 10*8, 6*8, and 8*8, so that means my height is 8.

                                                                  V=(0.5 * 8 * 6) * 8

8 * 6= 48
48 * 0.5 = 24
24 * 8 = 192

192 in^3


1. What shape is it?

This is a can, so it's a cylinder.

2. Write formulas

general                                                  V=Bh
specific to cylinders                               V=(pi * r^2) * h

3. Plug the numbers in:

20 cm is for the whole way across the circular base.  That means I need half that for radius, so 10.  The only other number on here is 9.

                                                           V=(3.14 * 10^2) * 9
10^2 = 100.
100 * 3.14 = 314

13
314
*  9
____
2826

2826 cm^3

We'll do pyramids and cones later.

No comments:

Post a Comment